New collections at the University of Notre Dame Archives
In January of 2017 Margaret Abruzzo sent us four linear inches of records (1987–1989) from the 18th Synod of the Archdiocese of New York. These papers include proposals and action plans circulated before the synod, with other loose papers such as statements collected in preparation for the synod by the chair of the education committee.
Also in January, Rev. Chris Kuhn, C.S.C., donated one linear foot of musical compositions by Rev. G. Carl Hager, C.S.C., who taught in Notre Dame’s Music Department, 1939–1948. These classical works include his master’s degree composition at DePaul University, a string quartet composed in 1951, and later vocal music and works for organ, piano, and classical guitar, including both sacred and secular works, 1971–1989.
In March we received papers (1.2 linear feet) of Gerald M. C. Fitzgerald, at one time a member of the Congregation of Holy Cross, later founder of the Servants of the Paraclete. The collection contains correspondence dating chiefly from the 1960s but with some letters from later in the 20th century, including papers and printed material concerning the work of the Servants of the Paraclete. The collection also has photographs, pamphlets, his biography, A Prophet for the Priesthood, by Father John A. Hardon, S.J., and copies of three books he wrote during his time as a member of the Congregation of Holy Cross: Juxta Crucem: the Life of Basil Anthony Moreau, Letters of Father Page, and Streets in Nazareth.
Also in March, Brother Paul Rosonke, C.S.C., donated 2.5 linear inches of Charismatic Renewal material, including mimeographed circulars, photocopies, leaflets, pamphlets, periodicals, meeting material, schedules, prayers, and directories. Brother Sixtus Roslevich, O.S.B., donated two linear inches of photographs, pamphlets, and papers from the life of his uncle Brother Sixtus Demshock, C.F.X. (1897–1977), a Xaverian Brother for over 60 years.
In May E. Jane Doering donated her files from Notre Dame’s Core Course (one linear foot), representing her approach to the presentation of philosophers and other authors, with course packs and a few personal files.
In July Mark C. Pilkinton donated 1.25 linear feet of papers generated by his work as a director of plays, most of them produced at Notre Dame, 1984–2008. Many folders also contain related CDs, and the collection includes several t-shirts associated with theatrical productions.
In August Isabel Charles donated four linear feet of photo albums and related papers documenting her travels to Notre Dame programs abroad, which she supervised as director of international studies in the 1980s. Papers include transcriptions of travel notes recorded by Charles on 11 tapes regarding programs in Ireland, Italy, Austria, Germany, and France, and itineraries and other papers removed from photo albums.
In September we received from Raúl Zegarra digital files (500 megabytes) containing papers of Gustavo Gutierrez, O.P.: scanned documents and publications, including interviews, journal entries, booklets, book chapters, newspaper and magazine articles, roundtables, speeches, texts about him, and outlines of theology courses he taught. These files are the first fruits of an ongoing cooperative effort by Peter Casarella, director of Latin American North American Church Concerns (LANACC) at Notre Dame, Timothy Matovina, chair of Notre Dame’s Department of Theology, Father Gutierrez himself, and others to preserve his works.
Also in September Michael J. Crowe donated his booklet “It’s the Group that Does the Healing”: the Story over More than a Quarter Century of a Support Group for the Divorced and Widowed, his account of a group that met at Little Flower Catholic Church in South Bend, Indiana. This item is topically related to our records of the North American Conference of Separated and Divorced Catholics (24 linear feet).
In October the Franciscan Sisters of Little Falls, Minnesota, sent us over six linear feet of their pre-foundation files (i.e., files representing the earliest history of the sisters who eventually became the Little Falls Franciscans), with two folders from the 16th century, five from the 18th century, and hundreds from the 19th century; including records of Mother Mary Ignatius Hayes, of work in Savannah, Georgia, and of Minnesota prelates.
Also in October V. Frederick Rickey donated six linear feet of the papers (1956–1978) of Bolesław Sobociński, including personal items, a bibliography of his works, files representing his founding and editing of the Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic, files concerning the transition in management of the journal from Sobociński to Rickey, Rose Rand’s translations of works by Stanisław Leśniewski, and Sobociński’s ontology notes. In addition to files on formal logic, the collection contains documents reflecting Sobociński’s devotion to the Catholic Church and to the saints, including, for example, the Index ac Status Causarum Beatificationis Servorum Dei et Canonizationis Beatorum, 1953 and 1962.
Wm. Kevin Cawley
Senior Archivist and Curator of Manuscripts