New Collections at the University of Notre Dame Archives in 2018
In March 2018, Fr John W. Michalowski, S.J., donated a new collection of charismatic renewal files amounting to 2.5 linear inches. These records, 1969–1974, document meetings of the Chicago Day of Renewal, the Immaculate Conception Prayer Group of Benet Lake and charismatic renewal at Boston College and in the Cheverus High School Jesuit community in Portland, Maine. In addition to these paper files, the collection includes fifteen audio cassette tapes, fourteen of them from the Chicago Day of Renewal and one from the Ann Arbor Eastern General Conference of 1977. The audio recordings consist mainly of talks by speakers, including presentations by Fr James Connelly, C.S.C., Fr Edward O’Connor, C.S.C., Fr James Burke, O.P., Fr George Montague, S.M., Fr James Keenan, S.S.S., Ruth Carter Stapleton, Kerry Koller and Fr John W. Michalowski, S.J.
In April, Jean Morman Unsworth, herself an artist and author, donated her video on the art of Ivan Mestrovic based on images she captured in Split, Croatia, and at Notre Dame. In 2008 she donated the papers of her husband, Tim Unsworth. Her video is especially appropriate for our archives because we also hold the papers of Ivan Mestrovic.
In September, 62 linear feet of historical records from the United States Province of the Congregation of Holy Cross came to us with the help of province archivist Fr Christopher Kuhn, C.S.C., and his assistant archivist Deborah Buzzard. They include records and papers from the career of Fr Edward Sorin 1830–1896; Fr Alexis Granger 1832–1893; Fr William Corby 1858–1897; Fr John A. Zahm 1873–1922; and from the provincial administrations of Fr Andrew Morrissey 1906–1920; Fr Charles O’Donnell 1920–1926; Fr George Finnigan 1926–1927; Fr James Burns 1927–1938; and Fr Thomas Steiner 1938–1950. The collection also contains records of the Notre Dame C.S.C. Community, 1841–1926; records of the C.S.C. Steward’s Office, 1840–1982; and interrogatories and chronicles.
In October, Graymoor archivist Barbara Martire sent us a digital collection of articles written by Fr Martin J. Carter, S.A., including published papers, reports, talks and presentations on Black Catholics, African Americans in the Roman Catholic priesthood, ecumenism, canon law, equality, evangelization, liturgy, religious life, marriage, divorce, and pastoral concerns. Fr Carter is a member of the Franciscan Friars of the Atonement and was active in the National Black Catholic Clergy Caucus.
And in December, Brother Larry Lundin, S.J., sent six linear feet of records, 1982–2008, from the National Association for Treasurers of Religious Institutes with information on early NATRI history, records of NATRI conferences, correspondence, reports, handbook, publications, office leases, articles of incorporation, bylaws, and board minutes; and records of the Legal Resource Center for Religious, including bylaws, strategic planning, audit reports, brochures, legal seminar records, reports, correspondence, board minutes, and financial files. Established in 1981, the National Association for Treasurers of Religious Institutes supported treasurers of Roman Catholic religious orders or congregations. The Legal Resource Center for Religious was established as a legal office for the Conference of Major Superiors of Men and the Leadership Conference of Women Religious in the 1990s. NATRI and the Legal Resource Center had headquarters on the same floor of the building that housed the offices of CMSM and LCWR. The Legal Resource Center for Religious eventually became a non-profit corporation. It aided religious institutes in civil and canon law matters and published a legal bulletin for leaders and finance officers. In 2009 it was renamed The Resource Center for Religious Institutes and NATRI merged with that entity, which continues the mission of both organizations.
For a new way to search Notre Dame’s Specialized Collections, try ArchivesSpace: https://archivesspace.library.nd.edu.
Wm. Kevin Cawley
Senior Archivist and Curator of Manuscripts