Mother Theodore Guerin Research Travel Grants
The Cushwa Center has established the Mother Theodore M. Guerin Research Travel Grant Program to support scholars who seek to move Catholic women to the forefront of historical narratives.
This program memorializes the historic connection between Saint-Mary-of-the-Woods College and the University of Notre Dame. The grants are named for Saint Mother Theodore Guerin, a French missionary to Indiana who established the Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, just north of Terre Haute, in 1840.
Grants of up to $1,500 will be made to researchers in any academic discipline whose projects seek to feature Catholic women more prominently in stories of the past. Funds will defray travel and lodging expenses for scholars visiting any research repository in or outside the United States or conducting oral interviews, especially of women religious, for purposes of historical, sociological, theological, and peace studies research.
Please submit the following materials via email to email@example.com:
1. completed application form (downloadable here);
2. current curriculum vitae;
3. 1,000-word project description including a research plan detailing any research repositories or oral history subjects you plan to visit and any advance contact you have made with relevant archivists or others;
4. proposed budget estimating travel, lodging, and research expenses.
All materials must be submitted by May 1, 2018 for the first round of grants. The next application deadlines will be December 31, 2018, and December 31 each year thereafter.
Applicants will be notified in June.
Grant recipients will be asked to:
1. participate in an interview about their project and/or provide the center with a short report on the results of their research;
2. acknowledge the grant in all publications which result from their research;
3. notify the Cushwa Center of any publication resulting in whole or in part from the grant.